Phytochemicals to health
Sometimes you might wonder why a food that is nutritional composition according to the list of food mediocre, nothing special, but it has certain properties. One answer is the presence of substances called phytochemicals.
Phytochemical not included nutrients because it is not in the form of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals and water.
Phytochemicals are usually used to refer to the compounds found in plants that are not needed for normal functioning of the body, but it has a beneficial effect on health or an active role for the prevention of disease.
Phytochemicals are natural chemicals that can deliver the taste, smell or color of the plants.
Types of phytochemicals and food ingredients
- Carotenoids; Carotenoids are pigments giving color to fruits and vegetables. Carotenoids are useful to prevent heart attacks, strokes, blindness, some types of cancer and slow the aging process.
- Beta carotene; The function of beta-carotene is similar to carotenoids. Beta carotene is found in yellow fruits and vegetables such as mango, papaya, carrots, pumpkin, and also in green leafy vegetables.
- Lutein; Lutein is very useful for eye health. Spinach is the most vegetables contain lutein. Other sources of lutein are lettuce, kiwi and broccoli.
- Lycopene; Lycopene prevents heart attacks and prostate cancer. Lycopene is found in red fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, red peppers, watermelon and carrots.
- Zeaxanthin; Zeaxanthin is to prevent macular degeneration and cancer. Zeaxanthin found in corn and spinach.
- Flavonoids; Flavonoids are antioxidants that neutralize free radicals that attack the cells of our bodies. Free radicals can cause cancer, heart disease and premature aging. Flavonoids can be found in oranges, kiwi, apples, red grapes, broccoli and green tea.
- Resveratrol; Resveratrol prevents heart disease, cancer, blood clots and stroke. Resveratrol found in red grapes and red grape juice.
- Quersetin; Quersetin reduce inflammation caused by allergies, inhibit the growth of cancer in the head, neck and protects the lungs from the effects of pollutants. Quersetin found in apples, pears, grapes, lettuce, broccoli, green tea and red grapes.
- Hesperidin; Hesperidin can protect against heart attacks. Hesperidin can be found in the group of citrus fruits.
- Tangeretin; Tangeretin can prevent cancer in the head and neck. Tangeretin found in citrus fruits and juice.
- Anthocyanins; Anthocyanins prevent blood clots, and even stroke. Anthocyanins found in strawberries, kiwi and plum.
- Sulforafan; Sulforafan function to prevent the risk of colon cancer. Sulforafan found in cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and bok choy.
- Limonene; Limonene is a phytochemical found in the skin and white membrane in the citrus fruits such as oranges orange, mandarin, lime, lemon, lime. Limonene protects the lungs and reduce the risk of some cancers.
- Ellagat acid; Ellagat acid is a phenolic compound that may reduce the risk of some cancers and lower cholesterol levels. Ellagat acid found in red grapes, kiwi and strawberries.
Always add the vegetables to the main menu. After knowing the greatness of phytochemicals, may we not lazy to always try to eat them everyday. By implementing healthy behavior and nutritional balance, phytochemicals for the body’s needs can be met.