Healthy foods for hypertension patients
Healthy foods for hypertension patients. High blood pressure or hypertension means high pressure in the arteries. Arteries are vessels that carry blood from the pumping heart to all the tissues and organs of the body. High blood pressure does not mean excessive emotional tension, although emotional tension and stress can increase blood pressure to temporarily.
Normal blood pressure is below 120/80, blood pressure between 120/80 and 139/89 is called pre-hypertension, and a blood pressure above 140/90 is considered high. Top number, systolic blood pressure, dealing with the pressure in the arteries when the heart contracts and pumps blood forward into the arteries.
The bottom number, the diastolic pressure, represents the pressure in the arteries when the heart is resting (relaxed) after contraction. Diastolic pressure reflects the lowest pressure that exposed arteries.
An increase of systolic and / or diastolic increases the risk of developing heart disease (cardiac), kidney (renal), hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis), eye damage, and stroke (brain damage). These complications of hypertension are often referred to as end-organ damage because damage to these organs is the end result of chronic high blood pressure. For that reason, the diagnosis of high blood pressure is very important so that it can cope with a normal blood pressure and prevent complications.
At first thought that rises in diastolic blood pressure is a risk factor is more important than increases in systolic, but it is now known that in people aged 50 years or older systolic hypertension represents a greater risk.
Healthy foods for people with hypertension:
- Spinach; Spinach is an excellent source of magnesium. Not only protect you from heart disease, but can also reduce blood pressure. In addition, the folate content in spinach can protect the body from homocysteine which makes harmful chemicals. Research has shown that high levels of the amino acid (homocysteine) can cause heart attacks and stroke.
- Nuts; Nuts, such as peanuts, almonds, and red beans contain magnesium and potassium. Potassium is known to be quite effective in lowering blood pressure.
- Banana; The fruit is not only delicious but also making healthier blood pressure. Bananas contain potassium and high in fiber are beneficial to prevent heart disease. Research also shows that one banana a day is enough to help prevent hypertension.
- Soybean; There are many advantages to consume soy to your health. One is to lower bad cholesterol and hypertension. The content of isoflavones are very beneficial for health.
- Potato; Nutrition is often lost because cooking the potato unhealthy. Though the minerals, fiber and potassium in the potato is very high and very good for stabilizing blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate; Chocolate lovers will surely be delighted, because the content of flavonoids in chocolate may help lower blood pressure by stimulating the production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide makes the signal muscles surrounding veins to relax more, and caused increased blood flow.
- Avocado; Oleic acid in avocados, can help reduce cholesterol. In addition, the content of potassium and folic acid, is essential for heart health.
For patients with hypertension should overcome early or go to the doctor so it does not lead until chronic. For prevention of hypertension should be back on a healthy life with diligent exercise, eat-green foods (vegetables) and avoid / quit bad habits like smoking and so forth.